PDA

View Full Version : Cyanobacteria issue

Ayinger
04-05-2016, 02:22 PM
So I have issues with cyanobacteria in my tank and I do regular water changes. I try to keep everything consistent. It keeps growing back every 2 days after I clean it out of my tank. Its getting kinda annoying. I looked online and read that Electric Blue hermit crabs eat cyano and would help to clean my tank. Would that work to help keep my tank a little clearer of the cyano?? Thoughts?

cory
04-05-2016, 04:03 PM
How old is tank? And your bulbs

Ayinger
04-05-2016, 04:12 PM
my tank has been set up since last July. Its a 14 gallon bio cube with built in filtration and lighting. It has 2 led blue lights and 1 led white light strip.

Ayinger
04-05-2016, 04:17 PM
I keep the tank at a consistent temp at 75F and keep the salinity consistent as well. I just installed a hydor rotating pump head too to better circulate the tank.

BigJim
04-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Do you test your phosphate and nitrates? Getting rid of the cyano permanently will be difficult if they are high. Many people have used Chemiclean to get rid of cyano. I have not used it personally but there is a lot of data available if you google it. I have personally used Korallen Zucht Coral Snow combined with Zeobak a couple times to get rid of it with good success. It cost more than Chemiclean but you would also be clarifying your water and adding beneficial bacteria.

tyler5g
04-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Battled this back a couple of months ago, just keep plugging away, vacuum the stuff off as often as you can, and water changes, it'll go away eventually.

stravo
04-05-2016, 08:38 PM
Erythromycin is a secret to killing it. Cyano is actually a bacteria not an algae. Thus erythromycin is an antibiotic. Witch will kill the bacteria. And it is reef safe. I have used before. But find the cause of it before trying to fight it

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

Ayinger
04-06-2016, 12:55 PM
I just didn't know if there was a natural way to get rid of it instead of using chemicals in the tank. Thats why I asked if anyone has dealt with Electric blue crabs.

stravo
04-06-2016, 06:43 PM
I heard they eat the cyano. Worth a try.

2turtles
04-06-2016, 06:50 PM
Be careful using erythromycin. It is indiscriminate in the bacteria it wipes out. Cyno is a bacteria so the introduction of bennificial bacteria such as from Dr Tim's is a better solution to get your system back in balance. With a smaller water volume, your tank will be much more susceptible to swings both good and bad.

stravo
04-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Be careful using erythromycin. It is indiscriminate in the bacteria it wipes out. Cyno is a bacteria so the introduction of bennificial bacteria such as from Dr Tim's is a better solution to get your system back in balance. With a smaller water volume, your tank will be much more susceptible to swings both good and bad.
Thanks for adding that. I always forget to say that when telling people about erythromycin.

Hexdex
04-09-2016, 01:54 AM
So I have issues with cyanobacteria in my tank and I do regular water changes. I try to keep everything consistent. It keeps growing back every 2 days after I clean it out of my tank. Its getting kinda annoying. I looked online and read that Electric Blue hermit crabs eat cyano and would help to clean my tank. Would that work to help keep my tank a little clearer of the cyano?? Thoughts?
A cleanup crew might help cover up the problem buy in the hobby you need to find the cause. Cyno itself needs to be attacked on many levels. 1. Manually remove as much as you can. 2. Get a product like kz coral snow or cyno clean to kill the bacteria itself. 3. Be consistent in doing/using and dont stop at the first sign of it gone. Continue for a few more days. Some preventative things you can do are. 1. Make sure you are using a DI Filter on your RO Unit. 2. Add more flow to your tank to remove dead spots. Cyno grows in those areas better. 3. Watch what you are adding to your tank. Everything you Out in a reef will either cause a positive or negative result so think twice about everything even the foods and amounts. Best of luck.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/fishofhex