Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arduino

Reef-O-Potamus

Re: Arduino

Ok will do. With my Birthday coming up, Im going to try and have the wife get it for me. I'll have her get in touch with you if she does.

Clownfish

Quote Originally Posted by "ReeferMadness" post=12788
    What I am looking to do is a little bit more complicated than a simple dimming circuit.

I basically want to vary the intensity throughout the day so that the color is bluest in the morning and evening when I can see my tank, but I still get a strong blast of white at midday.

I could buy a controller for 500 dollars or an Arduino for 30.
    this is what I did with my LEDs... essentially they went from moonlight > ramped up to a nice morning actinic > my halide came on, the actinic peaked and then fell a little in the middle of my light cycle, then started back up towards the end of my halide cycle > halide off and actinic real high > actinic lowered for the next few hours until it was at moonlight again. Rinse and repeat every day

I used an arduino board and controlled intensity with PWM signal to my driver over a 24hour program. Just recently a controller ($200) called Reef Angel came onto the market and it uses an arduino AND you can program for literally anything you can think of for your reef.

I've actually done this with both an Arduino and the Reef Angel. I'd be more than happy to share my code with you.

For me, I went with the Reef Angel because I could combine controlling my heaters, pumps and other lights with it. For ~$200 it was well worth it. The Arduino is great for just controlling a lighting system.

Thanks to both of you for the input. I got an Arduino as an early Christmas present and I am going to start playing around with it. I will look into the Reef Angel as well.

Clownfish

the reef angel is totally worth it... its like an arduino with the added benefits of a reef controller!

Agreed. I have a bunch of tutorial stuff on my website for writing the code yourself or you can use the RAGen tool.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10748

an arduino style board that can be controled by a android powered phone app. so if you can write android apps your controller could have a nice touchscreen and maybe wifi/bluetooth and maybe others. found it on hackaday.com going to research it now. but it sounds pretty cool.

I saw that too. I even have had the oddball idea of trying to get one to interface with a Kindle. They are dirt cheap and have wifi.