Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bio Pellets - Opinions/reviews/etc

Bio Pellets - Opinions/reviews/etc

been looking at buying a new phosban reactor and when looking found a biopellet reactor. which seemed to be a phosban reactor with biopellet in it. and supposedly these bio pellets no only remove phosphates but they also remove nitrates. read a bit last night after to talking with goldeneyes on mw3. i went ahead and placed the order because i need the reactor either way but it comes with biopellets so i tihnk im going to pull my sulfur denitrater offline ( i just re-set it up since the whole tank move) it works fine but does have a small leak and is very bulky.

Well i started this to see if anyone has experience with biopellets and if so what are you opinions on them?

Re: Bio Pellets - Opinions/reviews/etc

Biopellets are great, but may starve some of your softies and chalices. I feed my tank Reef Energy A and B occasionally to combat this, whereas before I wouldn't put this "pollution" in my tank on purpose.

Make sure you do two things.

One, have your phosphates reasonably controlled before you start.

Two, do not use more than you should and start off at a half dose for your tank as most products will direct you.

Most people who have bad stories about biopellets got freaked out by the bacterial bloom that resulted from not following those two rules.

Be sure to keep a close eye on your Iodine and Alk after it breaks in as I run through these a little faster since adding a biopellet reactor.

Banned

I have been running biopellets for almost 2 years. I have been happy with them. I did have a small bacterial bloom when first starting out and lost 1 of my skunk cleaners.

As reefermadness stated, start with at the most half the recommended amount. Some people still run gfo as most pellets are more efficient at consuming nitrates than phosphates. All pellets are not created equal! Some clump easier, some consume phosphates and nitrates better. Just do your research before you try anything.

Also as reefermadness stated, some lps and softies tend not to thrive as much. This is why I specifically set up another tank for them.

I've been running them for a couple years now. I cant say i've noticed a huge difference with them, but they did help speed the cycle of my new tank. There is ongoing debate about the appropriate flow rate to use with pellets. Some say high flow to keep the pellets tumbling (this is what i currently do), while others say low flow as high flow thru pellets can cause RTN in SPS. I've run Warner Marine, BRS, and Sea Slug pellets. I've been happiest with the Warner Marine, but am going to add some Dr. tims Pellets the next time i refill. Dr tim guarantees that no fillers are used in his corn based pellets.

Reef-O-Potamus

I've been debating using this as well. What type of pellets do you guys use? (Tom and Chris). What pump do you guys use? Im not going to start using one till I set up my 120g though.

I use this one in my frag tank but I don't know if they sell it anymore.

I have the reactor from BRS on my main tank.

I've been using Katalyst pellets from Brightwell.

I have always thought about using these pellets but in such a small tank i didn't really see too much of a point since i could just feed a lot and do large waterchanges. Cause isn't the point of them to have low nutrients but be able to feed the tank a lot?

Anyways i thought it would be cool to make some kind of compartment for my aquaclear to run pellets or gfo since from what i hear its bad to run that stuff in a media bag

Banned

I use a brs reactor I converted with screen mesh. I use rio pump rated at 500gph. Any less than that and the pellets did not tumble properly. You also need to make sure you have a very good skimmer, it is a must.

I have actually heard of people using them in media bags, but I have no experience with that. The benefit of a reactor is it allows the bacteria to colonize and thrive because they are confined.

how long did it take for you guys to notice it working? mine will be here tuesday hopefully. been reading about them and everywhere i have read says to start with a half dose so i tihnk im going to doo that. hmm i bought a mj900 i tihnk at 274 gph i hope thats enough. if not i guess i could split off my return pump nd feed it from that.

If you use one of the Microbacter 7 or Bactiv8 or Seachem Stability, you will see results immediately. These make your water crystal clear in a day or two, provided that you don't have so much food for the bacteria in your water that you get a bloom.

I tried these products before I went to biopellets and they still work, but you can go much longer without re-spiking them if you are running the pellets. Dose them according to direction and by the time you are past the initial heavy addition they recommend, your pellets will be well seeded.

The increase in water clarity is something to be aware of. If your water is cloudy, yellowed or just full of nutrients, your coral might be getting significantly more light after your biopellets kick in. Some people adjust their light cycle to compensate.