Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Squatch's 40g Breeder.

Well, my 3rd and final Jaebo pump #@!#@!#@!#@! the bed. After poking and prodding at it and the others, it seems to be a failure of the motor assembly itself. The impeller spins freely, and the control box seems to be working. I will never buy another Jaebo product again. I will advise others if they are thinking about getting them to think really long about what type of pump they would then want in 9 months, because that seems to be all these are good for. Searching the net comes back with MANY similar stories. It just seems odd to me that out of 3, only 1 made it to a year of use. They are cleaned regular. I don't know how a bundle of coiled wire sealed inside of a plastic shell can fail, but it is where the failure is. I would figure the impeller or control unit would die first. What a crock of #@!#@!#@!#@!.
    Last edited by SquatchXXL; 10-19-2018 at 02:09 PM.

The wrasse has been looking terrible for a few weeks. Just terrible. In the last 3 days it vanished, and I knew this was coming. I used a flashlight late last night after the lights went out and looked for a dog-pile of hermit crabs, and found some, but couldn't see what they were doing. This afternoon, I looked again, and there is certainly a dead fish. I am planning on a water change tommorrow, and I will get it out if I can. If not, its not the worst thing that has ever died and rotted in my tank, infact I don't think I have ever removed a fish. It is like a horror novel. They go in, and never come out.

Lifespan on a wrasse is varied due to many circumstances, but looking back over my timetables, I found a photo & reference to this fish in 04-2016 after the mantis shrimp died. From what I read, they have a short shelf life in tanks, and frankly I think my tank was too small for this type of fish. I don't have much luck with fish, and I still hate them. I have clown fish that don't seem to like any of my 4 anemones, and a cardinal that dislikes other cardinals.

On the up side, I can get rid of the wrasse "sleeping box" that is filled with sand. I remember joking about how it looked like a FEMA coffin. I can't wait to clear out all the sand it has kicked out of its box.

Here is a fun photo I found of the fish sleeping oddly 05-22-2017

Monthly update.

I didn't change my water for over a month. I got lazy & had a terrible cold nearly all of the last 2 weeks. Normally I am doing 10 gallon every 3 weeks, but this time it was 5 or 6. Hell, it may have been 7 or 8. I also stopped dousing vinegar as I normally do, so I had some algae. Tank shined up nice and took a few hours this afternoon. Nothing too serious. Since the wrasse died, I could take out the sleeping container and finally have a basic bare-bottom "berlin" style w/skimmer that I always enjoy. Easy to keep clean. If I had crushed coral or sand, I guarantee it would be a mess. I added another powerhead just to get water moving around more, as I think part of my algae issue is lack of water movement.

Tank is coming up on 4 years since setup, and I am looking at "upgrading" soon. I would love a 4' tank, and am looking at getting a 75g, but I hate to think about 15+ gallon water changes every 3 weeks. Some days I get bored with it. I have no room to get any more corals aside from things on the bottom of the tank. I doubt I will be getting any new livestock in the next 6 months, but may look at getting some more fish. I don't want any fish that cause issues, and damsels are in my price range, but I hate when they get territorial. Do they make a 4' 40-50 gallon tank that is cost effective?

I have a frag rack that is full of pocci. Anyone that wants some contact me via PM. you can have it. I NEED to get rid of it. IF I can't get rid of it, perhaps someone would be interested in selling it at a frag swap for, though I would prefer giving them away. Does MDRC want to put some of them in a raffle or give them away in some way at the next swap? I thought about getting a stand at an upcoming swap, but what I have to offer is not impressive in any way. It would be a joke seeing me trying to sell dozens of yellow pocci frags for any price.

12-16-2017 was when I moved into the tank. I was going to randomly post pictures I took today, and figured I would dig these gems up. This may make a nice end of the year since I moved/end of the year wrap up.

12-15-2018. One year report: I am out of carbon, low on filter floss and have 5 gallons of dry mix left. I burned up 3 jebao power heads, My light bulbs are getting to 30% life. Planning on trying a more blue approach. I don't like the 6.7k look. I couldn't be more happy with the tank. I consider it a full success.

I am looking at getting a newer tank over the next year. I don't trust a glass tank older than 5 years old, and this one is getting close. I know there is a 65ish gallon that sits the same footprint, and I may get one and customize it to fit in the same spot. That is the a plan at least. Tank came along nice during the year. The acans were a new addition. I like them. I like watching them eat, and they are hungry buggers too. Big fat chunks. I really want to cover the whole bottom of a tank with them, just to help clean out food. I am really stoked at how well things are.

Still offering green/yellow pocci frags for free.

Last edited by SquatchXXL; 12-16-2018 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SquatchXXL View Post
    12-16-2017 was when I moved into the tank. I was going to randomly post pictures I took today, and figured I would dig these gems up. This may make a nice end of the year since I moved/end of the year wrap up.

12-15-2018. One year report: I am out of carbon, low on filter floss and have 5 gallons of dry mix left. I burned up 3 jebao power heads, My light bulbs are getting to 30% life. Planning on trying a more blue approach. I don't like the 6.7k look. I couldn't be more happy with the tank. I consider it a full success.

I am looking at getting a newer tank over the next year. I don't trust a glass tank older than 5 years old, and this one is getting close. I know there is a 65ish gallon that sits the same footprint, and I may get one and customize it to fit in the same spot. That is the a plan at least. Tank came along nice during the year. The acans were a new addition. I like them. I like watching them eat, and they are hungry buggers too. Big fat chunks. I really want to cover the whole bottom of a tank with them, just to help clean out food. I am really stoked at how well things are.

Still offering green/yellow pocci frags for free.

It's looking good. That pocci is the devil. It spreads everywhere. I am constantly chipping it off the rocks. I guess it is awesome if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    I guess it is awesome if you like it.
    Oddest thing in the world started happening in the last week. My pocci of all things started looking bad, with them dying, and looking very very bad. Skin recession and polyps are not extending.

2 of the 3 magnets on my frag rack were getting wet and began rusting. Tommorrow I have planned an emergency trip to the big city of Harrisburg to find some carbon and salt to mix up some water. As odd as it is, ONLY the pocci seem to be suffering. Everything else looks fantastic, which is why at first I ignored it. Once it became apparent that it was serious, it may be past the point of no return. Updates over the next few weeks/months should outline my solution which is heavy forced activated carbon + mega-water changes to reduce whatever has afflicted. I don't know how magnets are made, and I don't think that it is terrible, but in a closed loop system small pollution can be irritating and fatal. Losing all my pocci or at least having them die back considerably wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, but I hate seeing things die. My goal is to at least stop the issue. IF I can't I am going to be removing any and all that look ill.

I did a 20 gallon water change today, and went heavy with carbon. I pulled out any and all corals that looked ill. At first, it looked like some of the green/yellow pocci was alive, but simply looking bad. I blasted it with my turkey baster to see how it held up, and most of the skin came off. A smell test also told me that things were going south. The Pink pocci on the left side seems ok, so I left it, but in all 3 colors of pocci and one torch coral skeleton were pulled. It is somewhat crazy how fast that happened. If it stabilizes and nothing else dies, I may consider moving down to a 29 gallon. I am getting bored again, as happens from time to time and it has nothing to do with this recent issue. It has been building for at least a half a year. Picture is fuzzy because I really was stirring things up and trying to get anything out that was dying/dead. Anyone need a pile of dead coral skeletons for reactors?

looks like every hard coral I have left is dead/dying. The acans are the ONLY coral that looks great as of right now. Everything else including a blue ridge coral looks like it may be dead as well. The anemones don't look good. There is not much I can do other than watch at this point. I have carbon in the sump, so we will see.
    There is a smell coming out of the sump/skimmer that is unusual, and reminds me of dead fish...Strongly. Seems to be an ammonia spike, so the next week or so will be interesting.
    Crashing this tank....with no survivors!
    maxresdefault.jpg
    Last edited by SquatchXXL; 01-13-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Sorry to hear. I wonder what started the decline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jrhaughey View Post
    Sorry to hear. I wonder what started the decline.
    I am thinking that the cheap frag rack did it. I should have inspected it better when I got it, but the magnets were not sealed up as well as they could have been. Had I looked at it, I would have glued/plastic welded acrylic over them to ensure they never could get wet. Now I am thinking that it started some die-off, which has snowballed. The more that died, the more that it caused dying. I am not mad, but am looking at what I can do to ensure that the fish that I have don't suffer. I hate knowing that they are in a tank that is swinging wildly. I never had a test kit, and have been doing this for decades...but I can tell from the smell that there is an ammonia spike going on right now. I am questioning IF replacing 50% of the water yesterday did more harm than good, but I think by the time I realized what was happening it was too late. This is my first official tank crash ever. Every other time I have had a tank, I had to get rid of or throw out everything. I never had a die off like this. Sure I lost a fish here and there, or had conditions that were not best for a coral. But never anything catastrophic. A 50% water change would have reduced the amount of contaminants in the water, but it was too late to keep the corals alive. I can tell from looking at the purple stylo & the remaining pocci that if I were to blast at them with the turkey baster, the skin would just peel right off.

After assessing the situation, I think that IF everything goes south I am going to take a break. Earlier I had commented that the acans looked good....well that has changed as well. I am not a gambling person, but I would bet the farm that they are going to end up in the bucket in the basement as well.

All-in-all I think that this was easily preventable. I had some idea in my head that fragments of pocci were something that would be easy to give away....Hahahaha now I know....and knowing that conditions are killing them tells me that things are no good.

One thing I can say for sure is that there will be survivors. Pocci is like that. If I keep the tank up and running, there will be individual polyps that find ways to survive and manage. I find it odd that no matter how ignored and abused they have been in the past, they flourished. I also know that sometime this year it was time for a new tank. 5 years is all I can think about when it comes to silicone seals.

I have a friend who is not a member of the club call me one one day because his 120g sprung a leak. It was perhaps 10 years old. It leaked from the back corner of course where you couldn't slap tape on to slow it down. It leaked out nearly all of the tank. It ruined his living room, it leaked into the basement, and poured all over his furnace, and was so bad that it was destroyed. No one has a perfect marriage (and if they tell you they do they are lying), but that was the final straw for his wife. The only place it made sense to set this one up was right above the furnace.....It crosses my mind regularly. All it takes is a few gallons of salt water to ruin electronics.

A 29g would be more my speed. Perhaps a single metal halide...who knows.

Anyone who wants/needs a pair of bonded clowns that don't seem to care about anemones and a single large Bangaii cardinal should message me. They are available right now.
    Last edited by SquatchXXL; 01-13-2019 at 11:55 PM.