Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatch's 40g Breeder.

Squatch's 40g Breeder.

I wanted to post some photos and a few stories. Ill try to keep it linear, but I have some bad adhd.

40 gallon breeder tank was purchased in 03-15 to store a few freshwater ciclids during a move. Turned out that the fish hated me, each other and apparently needed at least a 5" wide tank to not kill eachother. (m. auratis)

This was the biggest tank they were going to get, so the only option was adoption. In May they found new homes. The female I had put every Damsel to shame. She killed more than a few fish that were twice her size in our pond. Ciclids love it, they eat everything, they grow fast and their colors are amazing when its time to move them back inside.

I kept a reef up till 12ish years ago. Life got busy, and I had to give up a 75g. However I thought about what I liked about it, and what I did not.....the whole time. I did not like the "community" tank style. I had issues with fish I did not like, as well as the standard bullying.....2 damsel fish became blended anemone food over a dead hippo tang. I prefer the "single species" approach....especially with a tank as small as a 40 gallon.

Lots of diy went into it. I am cheap, and diy friendly. 3 of the rocks in my tank are agrocrete. for now they stick out like a sore thumb, but I plan on using zoas to cover it up. My only mistake was not waiting a bit for white portland cement.

Random corals in random states. Most of the frags were only done last night, so I left a mess. There is almost the same space on the back of my rocks as the front, so I can grow out most frags right on the substrate in the back. Some stuff I have to keep out of reach of the tanks main occupant. I had a hard coral tank years ago with MH lighting. Never had any zoas previously, and enjoy the look of them. I am trying to use nothing else to decorate this tank.

"Frag rack"

Sump is a baffled 10g tank inside of a 20 gallon. The 10 gallon did work, but was aweful close to overflowing if the power went out. I ended up drilling a hole in the side of it, and just setting it up a bit in the 20g.

This is the tanks main inhabitant. She is quite fun, but will use frags to decorate her burrow.

Currently running 3+ months. It looks more blue in photo than real life. I am sure I am missing something, so feel free to respond if you have a question.

As my frags grow out I will be looking to make trades.....I just found this site last night and was pretty pumped to see active users helping each other out. (One thread a pump died and another member offered to loan one out.....That is keeping it real) I am looking at keeping only zoas, so I expect to be polluted with them shortly. Some of them are already spreading out quite quick.

@SquatchXXL, thank you for sharing, but for some reason or another the pictures are not coming up, at least for me. Please keep us posted on your progress .
    If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live. - Lin Yutang

Quote Originally Posted by habutti View Post
    @SquatchXXL, thank you for sharing, but for some reason or another the pictures are not coming up, at least for me. Please keep us posted on your progress .
    They show up, just not in Tapatalk. Sometimes things get lost in the transfer to Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by habutti View Post
    That is odd, because I can see them just fine. They are posted at postimage.org. Is there a better way to post images?

Love the Mantis Shrimp!! I do believe you are the first person in our little group to actively keep one!! Awesome stuff!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SquatchXXL View Post
    That is odd, because I can see them just fine. They are posted at postimage.org. Is there a better way to post images?
    Lots of folks use Photobucket to upload their pics to. Once uploaded, you can click "share links" from the thumbnail and copy/past the "img" link to the body of the post. You can also use the "img" link on the right hand side of the page that houses the picture in photo bucket. Generally gives you a "full" size pic when you do that. Hope that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by HgrReefs View Post
    Love the Mantis Shrimp!! I do believe you are the first person in our little group to actively keep one!! Awesome stuff!!!!
    so you can see my photos, or you had to extrapolate the link?

Squatch's 40g Breeder.

You can see the photos from a computer. Lots of folks use the Tapatalk app as a forum reader on their phone. If they are using that app, the pics don't show, most likely because there is a possibility Tapatalk doesn't support postimage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HgrReefs View Post

You can see the photos from a computer. Lots of folks use the Tapatalk app as a forum reader on their phone. If they are using that app, the pics don't show, most likely because there is a possibility Tapatalk doesn't support postimage.

She is a very ill tempered peacock mantis @ 4.5" long. I enjoy the simplicity that single species tanks afford. Every 2-3 days I feed her a piece of shrimp or scallop, she eats what she wants and discards the rest. The chromis than eats what it wants....and by the time it is done, the harem of hermit crabs clean up the rest....than she eats them. She is very enjoyable to watch.

As for postimage, they are my go to photo dump. Ill look into hosting elsewhere, but I really enjoy the simplicity of postimage.

The pic on the other thread you posted worked, so I think it was just a Tapatalk glitch. 😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk