Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Squatch's 40g Breeder.

You can never have too much flow in a bare bottom SPS. Blast them!

Quote Originally Posted by justinm View Post
    You can never have too much flow in a bare bottom SPS. Blast them!

I figure they love "indirect". This applies to poccilipora and acro? Obviously softies are out. I could really get the water moving, and I have a 6 bulb light set that would fit perfect. If I can keep water quality, I can make some nice stumpy frags.

My Millis are inches away from my MP40s getting blasted. Keep things simple and they will grow.

I built a very tall stand for this tank. I like not bending over to look at it, and I kept it "raw" with no finishing because it was tucked away in a back room of my old home.

It is going prime-time at the new house, and will be a living room item. Most of you have living room fish tanks, and this will be my first since 2003 when I retired a 75 reef. This is it reset at the new place

Last time I moved it was a huge pain in the ass, and I left a stand back at the house for craigslist. I just had no room or desire to cart both around. I made it tall enough that it could be a protective skid. I was glad this worked out, and we could stack heavy things on top of the skid. This works best with 36" tanks because of their awkward size and mass. They are not small tanks, and should usually be 2 man lifts.

The plan is to skin the stand, but It will be a bit. I still have to level things. Just wanted to update.

Technically I am moved. My other 90 gallon tank and all of its junk are still running in place. It is getting taken down on the 16th.

I just got done moving yesterday. It was 2 weeks straight of organize-pack-storage-unpack-disorganize. My body is shot. My wife's body is shot. I get resentful really quick, so I don't ask for help because I would just get mad if people couldn't. It is short term, but I don't think its fair to me or them. My wife and I kicked ass, and we needed the exercise.

Square base to floor
    Mount base to wall
    piping - designed.....caveats.

I am going to do a 35 gallon water change again from my other tank, and use it a bit more then half of the system volume for this one.

Once I get water flowing, I can test it out. From there I can transport items of interest from the DT in Harrisburg to this one an hour North. I won't be bringing the tang, which breaks my heart but the other livestock will be coming. I could see no humane way on my schedule to keep this awesome specimen happy. Fellow member Dmb092182 has a great setup that would be better than my own for this fish.

The piping is going to be the dual single durso. I am going to run a check valve on the pump with a vacuum break. If the power goes out, it should be impossible to drain any significant volume of water from top to bottom.

Its pretty well set at this point. I have not settled on a substrate, or if there will be one. Most of the corals survived the move, but the acros. The frogskins do not take well to being handled, out of the water and/or colder temps in a bucket for nearly 2 hours. I think it is a mix of the first 2.

There is LOTS of coral in the tank at this point. Everything that was in my 90 moved here.

Future plans involve putting removable shelf inside the stand, and getting a 3-5 gallon top off system. I moved the lights closer to the surface and evap has increased dramatically.....using a pair of big PP wavemakers don't help..

Water is clearing up, and I had time to install the sump skimmer. I have a huge laundry list of things to do to get this working the way I want.....
    *Glass top to help with evap. Id like to get it under 3 quart/day
    *Putting filters into skimmer box as was designed
    *Substrate choices.....

I did manage to find a phone setting that does not look like you are staring at something that is being blasted by 6x t5 ho:

Frags made by moving. It Happens. I have been placing them in matching groups in places around the rockwork.

Random pictures from right to left.

Sump photos. Its a generic skimmer, but works well for me. There is a spot in the plastic divider to add various filter floss/carbon. It works well for DIY, and fit nice into the 20 sump box.

I am thinking about black substrate....I didn't want substrate in the first place.
    Last edited by SquatchXXL; 12-23-2017 at 03:33 AM.

Lights are hung by the chimney with care......

Tank was getting too warm, so had to elevate the lights off the tank. I was going to do it eventually, but temps were high. Evap IS higher than expected. I added the glass top.

GTO system (gravity top off) added to supply sump with random drips of water.

Have a Great Christmas everyone!

Martinsburg, WV
    How much experience do you have with GTO's? Looks intriguing, but also kind of sketchy if you know what I mean?

I'm glad to hear the transfer was pretty smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by bufettphan View Post
    How much experience do you have with GTO's? Looks intriguing, but also kind of sketchy if you know what I mean?
    Decades. Once you get them set they are good enough for basic water top off. Close counts, and at times you have to adjust for evap. I never put more water into it then would mess up my system, and never more than a week supply. I have had no issues with it. I used to run a vacuum line but 5 gallon jugs are terrible for airtight. That trick works best with glass. Eventually I will switch to glass and get one of the gravity fed ones made.

They are totally sketchy if you don't count drips and calculate. 1 drip every 2 seconds is a great place to start. draw lines with tape on the side of the sump, and calculate daily and get a pattern. dumping 5 gallons of fresh water will make a negligible effect on my system, which is worst case scenario. I don't advise using chemicals. I got to the point that I use 9ml vinegar/4 gal water which lasts 3-4 days. I soak the vinegar in crushed coral a few days prior to use.

This is as cheap as it gets. I would have made my hood had it not been simply cheaper and easier to buy/swap/trade....Its still not out of the question, but this hood is a great test bed...I may nix the middle
    2 lights and do a pair of 250w MH.

Quote Originally Posted by bufettphan View Post
    I'm glad to hear the transfer was pretty smooth.
    It went well. I couldn't have asked for better. The blue ridge coral is acting odd, but I don't discount it yet. The frogskins certainly bit the dust. I will use their skeletons for frags in the future. I have too many coral, and am glad for as many survivors. I have to start getting creative and placing things "in the back" where there is plenty of light. Other things I am going to start looking at trading off.