Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Squatch's 40g Breeder.

Sorry to hear this. You might want to buy some Dr Tim's or another bacteria population to try to get the beneficial bacteria built back up. I had SPS issues last year and I know it can ruin the hobby for you. It took about 9 months for me to get straightened out and I am still not positive on why it happened. Just stick with it and know you have some people willing to help.

Sorry to hear about your crash, I lost a couple of colonies about 4 months ago when my main circulation pump died and my tank got down to about 67 degrees. Was seriously bummed out and the coral that did survive are only now starting to color back up to what they were before the failure. This hobby can be punishing at times.

One thing I have learned the hard way in this hobby is to not try and save money by purchasing cheap equipment. I've had the same experience you did with Jebao pumps and have regretted cheap heaters and pumps that I have purchased in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    Just stick with it and know you have some people willing to help.
    I enjoy sharing the joys and failures of the hobby as much as the hobby itself. I think that I am pretty relaxed about the hobby as a whole. "Worst case scenario" is much much worse than what I experienced....all the water is still in the tank. Over the years I have grown from loving the tanks in my home to tolerating them. I know that If I didn't have one, I would want one. But, I also know that sometimes I hate having it. I am always honest about my hatred of fish. I just like the idea of keeping something foreign but beautiful in a glass box...the wife says no to scorpions and lizards so I am limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonjankmon View Post
    Sorry to hear about your crash
    Its all good my friend. I hate knowing that things died, but I question if there was any way I could have prevented it.

Everything in the tank that is not a Pocci or Stylo is recovering well. Acans look like they did months ago, and are eating like normal. The blue ridge seems fine. My anemones don't look any worse for the wear. I question if it was the magnets now, as I think that other more "sensitive" corals would have died first. The 3 most hearty colonies of pocci are totally gone from the way it looks with a few random surviving polyps here and there. I have medium sized rock with palys/zoas on it, and they look as they usually do (declining and vanishing).There are parts of pocci and stylo that are alive, and recovering from the look of it. I don't plan on replacement at all, but I will just continue to frag and shift around whatever I have. I know a few weeks ago I was complaining to my wife about lack of room and scheming for a larger tank. This pretty much solved the problem. I will continue to have a good time with what I have. I like the look of the stylo better than the pocci any day, but the pocci would kill it on contact....I am hoping that enough survives and recovers that I can get a few frags and spread it out. In a way I wish I could figure out what happened....People would pay good money to destroy nearly every pocci in their tank.

I looked over past purchases, and calculate my losses around $100. Pocci are cheap. They are impossible to get rid of, and I think I am one of the few people who go out of my way to buy them. If I ever get more of them, I certainly won't be getting the green ones. They grow too fast, and are so common that the only way to get rid of them is to kill them. In all of this, somehow my male clownfish has finally found an anemone. This in itself was a great thing. I love seeing how happy he looks just rolling around in it. I think it adds value to the enjoyment knowing that though tank raised from immature specimens, they still manage some bit of instinct to find out their symbiotic relationship.

More updates at a later time as things progress. Thanks for reading along! Ill try to get a good picture because I like to share the aftermath with all my friends in the club.

Pocci is amazing in it's ability to survive. I have a small colony/frag that is currently growing out on my overflow. I think it may be purple but it's a bit difficult to tell right now because it is still so tiny. The kicker is that I don't remember *ever* having Pocci in my tank but some how or another a larvae of it got in and has setup shop. I thought it was a weird bit of algae or something like that until it finally sprouted out a branch.

It is actually something of an accomplishment to wipe it out in a tank. If it didnít spread randomly, Iíd probably have it in my tank.

Glad to hear things are looking better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a huge change of water today. I removed a few dead skeletons and really cleaned the bottom off. I also pulled out just about every rock that is not required or has something growing on it. It really opened up the tank, and it looks better than the pile of rubble. The tank has been a mess, and pretty much ignored the last few weeks. I am noticing that I have less and less time for the tank, and I am due for new lights and/or bulbs.