Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatch's 40g Breeder.

On a side note:

After almost 2 years of house hunting, it looks like we will be finally into a home of our own. I am tired of renting. We just got here in March, and by October/Nov we will be out. We are staying in the central PA area, so the move is only a few miles (I think its in the same zip code). From the way it looks I will have months (if needed) to move all of our belongings. Moving the tank will be pretty simple, and everything I have is very durable. I built this tank with certain expectations of the mantis from a bit of reading. I have a few things I would love a chance to do different. I may swap out most of the crushed coral and sub in reef rubble. I will certainly change the burrow pipe and the rockwork to keep it more "open" in the middle.....another option I am considering is setting up a 75 gallon+.

Congrats on the new house!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The best part of a new house would be building out a room around my tanks.... Just saying.... Congrats to you.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeitlives View Post
    The best part of a new house would be building out a room around my tanks.... Just saying.... Congrats to you.
    I snagged myself a 36" 90 gal locally (3'x2'x2'). The day the check is signed, a stand and tank will be setup and allowed some time to cure. I only have a 20g sump, and think that I will be using my 38g (also an odd size) as the sump. This will keep my 40 free for a frag tank....which was the plan for it initially. This plan should take about 4 months to realize.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeitlives View Post
    That's sounds sweet!
    I am pretty well stoked. I have to start shopping for a Coast-to-coast overflow, and a drill bit for 1"+ bulkheads (3). My current tank was modified by me with a glass hole bit and some plexiglass, and this one will get a bit different of an overflow. I may end up tying my 40 into the loop with this....would put my total volume well over 150g.

I haven't decided on return line sizes, but Id guess that at least 1"+....up to 1 1/2". Will probably have 3x return lines in a "bean animal" configuration.

Take a look at the ghost overflows Synergy Reef is making. Pretty nice! It's what Reef Savvy uses on their tanks now.

Looking forward to this build out!

Quote Originally Posted by HgrReefs View Post
    Take a look at the ghost overflows Synergy Reef is making. Pretty nice! It's what Reef Savvy uses on their tanks now.

Looking forward to this build out!
    After I absorbed the sticker shock of the price of the ghost overflow, I am certain that this overflow will be like others made before it.....DIY. Also, the ghost overflow costs around 3x the price I paid for the tank.

Wow. Didn't realize they were so expensive. Lol

I did some concise measurements today. I found that the tank will hold 85 gallons of fluid almost exactly. It is a 1994 perfecto or marineland and at 3' long, I cannot find any proof that this tank should even exist. All rectangle tanks over 40g seem to be longer than this one.

Seems I have found myself a rare one.

I need to phone a friend to help me move it to get a fill test done. In the event of leaks, I will simply recaulk the entire tank....possibly in black silicone.