Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatch's 40g Breeder.

Can we curse here?

[img=http://s8.postimg.org/rumwqepz5/nudibranch.jpg]

Found these buggers, and quickly tossed them down the drain. I don't know if they are the zoa eating kind, but seeing how my zoas are randomly closed at times over the last 3 weeks.....I suspected this. This is a HUGE issue, as I now have to do some research.

How do I move my livestock to a new tank WITHOUT polluting it with these new intruders?
    I can't remove all of my corals due to some growing on the LR. IF I was to remove ALL my corals (all zoas/palys) would my tank be clear in a few weeks?

I can't believe this is happening. First was the colonial sea squirts choking out my palys, now I apparently have a nudibranch infestation. I found 2, so that means there could be up a gazillion eggs in my tank now.

This is bad. Any suggestions? I am about to ditch all the corals in this tank, and dry out my LR. I don't have weeks right now to babysit nudibranch eggs.

Here is a better format for the photo....In a shot glass. These little peckers are small.....And I am sure there are others....or there will be soon....

Yeah, those look like the zoa eating variety. There's a couple of routes you can take, but your best bet will be to go through a series of dips.

Mix up a Bayer dip solution in a cup or bucket using Bayer Complete Insect Killer and tank water. Use enough bayer to just barely make the water cloudy. Also, it's a good idea to use a clear container for this, that way you can look up from the bottom to see what got killed.

Pull the zoa colonies from your tank and place them in the dip solution for about 10-15 minutes. Rinse off the zoas in tank water (outside of the tank) and place them back in the tank.

These steps will kill the adults and juvis, not the eggs. So you will have to do this again in about 5-7 days so that you can get anything that hatched. Probably one more dip 5-7 days after that as well.

Hope this helps! These can be beat with a little determination. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UGGGGhhhhhh. Captured and killed 2 more in the last 15 min (the first 15 minutes I've been home). Seeing how everything I read states they come out at night usually, leads me to believe that there is a metric boat ton of these buggers hanging out.

Where can I find this Bayer Complete insect killer? The home depot on RT 22 did not have any in stock, though they did have a few bayer bug killers, nothing by that exact title.

The plan:

I need to setup a temp q-tank. I need to remove the zoas totally from the main. This will remove the nudi's diet. I will employ a 6 line wrasse, during that time in the DT (I am trying still to avoid fish). I need to ENSURE that there is a 0% chance of ANY treatment making it into the DT. I think that if the bayer method kills nudis, it would probably have adverse effects on a stomatopod.

I have a HUGE piece of LR that has a small colony of zoas attached to it. From what I read, even scraping may not remove the colony totally.....Would this remain as food for the remaining nudis?

My smallest q tank is a 38g, and would accept my 3' lights. I will have to figure out where to set up the treatment tank......Grrrrrrrr!

I am still totally amazed by this. I have said it before, but over a decade ago I used tap water (no ro/di), never dipped a single coral, and everything went into the DT instantly. No acclimation at all. NOTHING ever died, and I had no problems selling acro frags to LFS to support my habit. Never once did I get a horrible HH.

Currently I am fighting 2 fronts with my zoas/palys. My Palys, in addition to confirmed nudibranch eggs also have an odd HH. I am 120% certain that they have a colonial tunicate issue. I have used a few types of reef dip, including reef RX, seachem reef dip, and FW dips, and have done nothing but knock them back down at times.

I am ordering a 6 line from my LFS tonight....I doubt it would be enough to naturally kill the problem.

In the future, I will have to make less sporadic coral purchases. Apparently simply dipping corals as prescribed by the bottle is not enough. I need to q-tank everything for weeks, and I think the best method for me would be to make single HUGE purchases once or twice a year, so that I can conveniently set up a QT for a few weeks, and then take it down. Thankfully this is caught in an odd time when I will have to rip the tank down no matter what.....so If there is a "convenient" time to have a horrible coral destroying predator, this is the best time that it could happen.

So as I am gearing up to move to my new home, I am setting up a Q tank in the old house, and hoping for the best over the next 3-4 weeks.

Here's a link to the Bayer that most use.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advan...0270/100658964

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SquatchXXL View Post
    I have a HUGE piece of LR that has a small colony of zoas attached to it. From what I read, even scraping may not remove the colony totally.....Would this remain as food for the remaining nudis?
    Well, I spent the last few hours prepping for the q-tank move. I found that I have a few instances of attachment to live rock....luckily it is only on one piece of rock. In total I will be scraping off (as best I can) approx 6 polyps. It saddens me that I doubt I will be able to salvage them.

Quote Originally Posted by HgrReefs View Post
    Here's a link to the Bayer that most use.

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bayer-Advan...0270/100658964
    Thank you for the link. I was able to have the internet show me that my store had it in stock, and where it was supposed to be. (Aisle 1, bay 022)....which as customer service advised me was totally incorrect....they kinda put it whereever it fit a few rows down.

SO I got the poison!

Also, for anyone that reads this....Petco Dollar days will be coming up shortly.

Zoas are not doing well in the new qtank. Even though I added a few lbs of LR from my cure tub (its been in there for months and gets water changes) not many are opening. The palys look better than most of the zoas....most of the zoas look to be ready to die.

I think that this can be attributed to the "new tank" that they were placed into. I really don't want to re-introduce these to my tank UNTIL the infection is gone. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't have many corals, but want to do everything to allow for survival. ANY suggestions may help save a dozen or so small colonies. I am not stressing about the loss of 4 months collection of corals, as most are "generic". I am stressed that I go out of my way to visit fish stores who IN MY PAST had great conditions, only to find out how horrible it has become. I can only imagine how many corals from their gigantic frag tank that will ruin others tanks.

Hate to say it but your kinda in a place I was once with my fish. Your going to have to ride it out and do the dips every week. They may not look good, but most likely will be fine. It could be flow, lighting, never know. Ride it out and don't get frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by hopeitlives View Post
    Hate to say it but your kinda in a place I was once with my fish. Your going to have to ride it out and do the dips every week. They may not look good, but most likely will be fine. It could be flow, lighting, never know. Ride it out and don't get frustrated.
    I imagine that their condition is a mix of sterile clean water and irritation by being dipped in a dose of chemicals. The lighting was moved over from my DT which is currently running a single SO 24" florescent tube...Thankfully no one in the DT seems to mind.

I emailed the business I got this HH from and let them know that though I may not be thrilled, others with much larger more stable tanks will be even less happy. I know there is a certain degree of "quarantine" that is needed, I think its a travesty that I have picked up 2 less than stellar ones in the last 4 months from the same place. It puts me in a bad spot because I cannot even offer corals in trade for quite a long time. It will be a long time before I trust any business with my money.