Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: My new 155 is on the way

Your colors are outstanding on all of your photos! It looks great!

I submitted a second ATI ICP test since I have still been having SPS issues. I realized that my first test was done in October and was about a month before my tank issues started. There were only a few things different this time. My nitrate is .01 on this test when it was 4 on the previous test. My nitrate test kit is nearing expiration but it says my nitrate is between 2.5 and 5. Iodine is also higher, but I have been dosing it and my test kit says it is much lower. I might cut the dose in half.

The last difference is more concerning to me. I now have readings for nickel, cobalt, iron and zinc. The zinc and iron are much higher than the recommended amount. I also use poly filter pads at all times and still have these metals in the water. I have taken apart every pump and powerhead in the tank multiple times since this issue started and found nothing. I did not think to check the Eheim Compact 3000 I use to mix my saltwater until yesterday and found 4 metal screws on it with small amounts of rust. I also have some rust on the hinges on my stand but they never touch the water and are not above the sump. The last thing it might be is the DIY screen cover kit from BRS. It does get wet from time to time and may be made from zinc coated aluminum. The results from both tests are below. Let me know if you have any ideas.

10/26/17: http://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/8ef4bedb0810d74ea864

4/7/18: http://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/96934d388d540e12b9d6

Peppermint Shrimp
    I need to get this done. I have been having lots of acros STN on me lately. I took apart all equipment and found nothing. I never thought to look at my 2LF magnetic algae clip, low and behold it was full of rust.

I have also been running Cuprisorb along with polyfilters. Since adding the cuprisorb, the STN has slowed down drastically.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    I now have readings for nickel, cobalt, iron and zinc. The zinc and iron are much higher than the recommended amount.
    Make a fresh mix of salt, and check it. Some salts add these elements. I wouldn't put anything metal above my tank, and the screen could be suspect if you are dipping it in the water. Salt water and the air around it makes everything rust and rot. I don't think the hinges are an issue, but try to keep them well oiled and it may keep them from rusting.

Make sure all your screws are stainless. If you have to, test them by holding a magnet to them. If a magnet stick, it means that it will probably rust. Make sure all your pump housings and impellers are up to snuff. I know they can get exposed to water and cause issues. Any and all magnets should be suspect and checked.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by SquatchXXL View Post
    Make a fresh mix of salt, and check it. Some salts add these elements. I wouldn't put anything metal above my tank, and the screen could be suspect if you are dipping it in the water. Salt water and the air around it makes everything rust and rot. I don't think the hinges are an issue, but try to keep them well oiled and it may keep them from rusting.

Make sure all your screws are stainless. If you have to, test them by holding a magnet to them. If a magnet stick, it means that it will probably rust. Make sure all your pump housings and impellers are up to snuff. I know they can get exposed to water and cause issues. Any and all magnets should be suspect and checked.
    Good luck!
    Yeah, I have thought of sending a sample of fresh mixed saltwater. I might try that if I find nothing else. I also realized that what I thought was rust on my Eheim pump was just brown salt mix crud. The screws are definitely stainless. I have looked over all the pumps and powerheads again and found nothing. I removed the screen covers just to see if it helps. I am also removing my frag racks. They both have epoxy coated magnets that seem to be fine, but maybe there is an issue I can't see. I might take one of the frag rack magnets this weekend and drag it around the tank and sump to see if there is maybe a screw or something I can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by justinm View Post
    I need to get this done. I have been having lots of acros STN on me lately. I took apart all equipment and found nothing. I never thought to look at my 2LF magnetic algae clip, low and behold it was full of rust.

I have also been running Cuprisorb along with polyfilters. Since adding the cuprisorb, the STN has slowed down drastically.
    I wish I could find a smoking gun. There is just nothing jumping out at me except dying montis and acros.

Funny, but the tank looks smaller in such a big room. That looks like a sw2eet set up.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    There is just nothing jumping out at me except dying montis and acros.
    If the pumps are stainless (most for reef tanks are), you have to check the source water before and after mixing the salt. Any number of increased levels would make sense, but metals.....especially the zinc and brass are very disturbing. The main metal used for galvanizing is zinc. If you have a galvanized screen top, I would remove it. IF your water tests clean, you may want to think about a few very large water changes to reduce the metals dissolved. If the levels are increasing, they have to be entering the system somewhere. Good luck!

I haven't posted a tank update in quite a while. I have not had SPS issues in more than 4 months, so hopefully the issue has been resolved. I am still not sure what caused the problem. I believe it was a bacterial infection, the DIY screen tops leeching something or my old skimmer leeching something. I replaced the skimmer, removed the tops and started dosing about every saltwater bacteria additive made to try to out compete bad bacteria.

I got rid of my Desjardini Tang in July and immediately had bubble and hair algae issues. I guess he was working hard even though he was a big jerk. I recently added a White Tail Bristletooth Tang, Naso Tang and Algae Blenny and that problem has been corrected. Here are the new fish additions.

Naso 121318 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    Algae Blenny 121318 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    whitetail bristletooth tang 120518 3 by Big Jim, on Flickr

My SPS test frags that seem to indicate my tank is no longer where acros go to die.

PC Rainbow 121318 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    pearlberry 120617 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    apocalypse now 120617 2 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    battlejuice 120617 2 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    sunset milli 120617 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    hawkins 120617 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    sunfire 120218 by Big Jim, on Flickr