Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Tank Temperature - How high is too high?

  1. #1
    Clownfish
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    339

    Tank Temperature - How high is too high?

    I am dead set against buying a chiller for my tank. The thought of needing one sends shivers down my spine. I've researched (read that as spent much time surfing the internet) and as far as i can tell the topic of temperature range is as wide open as the variety of corals people keep.

    The tank temp would hover around high 79 to low 80 in the past with the cooling fans running 24/7. I have recently (within the last month or so) put spin stream nozzles on my return jets which has cut down my flow and I'm sure has put a little strain on the pumps causeing heat build up. Now the tank hovers around high 80's most of the time when I'm running my cooling fans 24/7.

    Here recently as it starts to warm up in the house (and I've not cut on the AC just yet) the tank is climbing up to high 81.something. I did see it hit 82 jut before lights out the other night.

    My lights, BTW, are 6 T5 bulbs that have their own cooling fans. I know they generate a lot of heat. My photo period is around 9.5 hours a day. I'm sure I could cut that back and save on some heat a little. I also could take the new spin streams off and cut back on the pump strain but the stock nozzles were pushing out too much flow for my Euphyllia heavy tank so I'd like to keep them as they really help to randomize the flow pattern.

    So, the question is this, what are your thoughts on temperature? How high is too high your opinion? We've got some really smart folks on this site that have been in this hobby (some in the "business side") for years.

  2. #2
    MMaybe dumb question but did u try putting a fan blowing across top of tank between t5 and water

  3. #3
    Clownfish
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    339
    Yep, my lights have their own fans but my tank cooling fans (different set of fans) do just that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Director of Membership BigJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    772
    I think 82 is still fine from my experience, but keeping it consistent is important. I lost some corals when my RSM 250 was fluctuating between 77 and 82. I don't know if temp was the cause but I had more success when I used a chiller. There are pros and cons to using a chiller but it was the only way I could keep my RSM 250 where I wanted it. I would only recommend you use one if you are having livestock issues because of the heat. If you decide to go with a chiller, I still have the one at the link below for sale. I would knock the price down some for you.

    http://www.mdreefclub.com/showthread...1-5-hp-chiller

  5. #5
    Peppermint Shrimp
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    York, PA
    Posts
    139
    I've known tanks that have successfully grown corals as high as 84, getting good growth, but, with SPS's anyway, the skeletons are not quite as stout. But as mentioned above, the key is to keep it consistent. We all know the key to successful tanks is to have as little variation in our water parameters as possible, and temp is just another one of those parameters. If you run 81-82 with out a chiller, then just make sure in the heart of the winter, when it 15 degrees outside, you keep the tank at 81-82.

  6. #6
    Reef-O-Potamus HgrReefs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hagerstown, Md
    Posts
    2,783
    I agree with everything above with regards to consistency. If 81 is the target, maintain it. My only question is, how much of a temp fluctuation will occur between lights on/lights off. ie, if you are 81 with the lights off, will it now climb to 84 when they are at full burn?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    I think 84-85 is the absolute top end. After that, I think things will start to degrade rapidly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Clownfish
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    I think 82 is still fine from my experience, but keeping it consistent is important. I lost some corals when my RSM 250 was fluctuating between 77 and 82. I don't know if temp was the cause but I had more success when I used a chiller. There are pros and cons to using a chiller but it was the only way I could keep my RSM 250 where I wanted it. I would only recommend you use one if you are having livestock issues because of the heat. If you decide to go with a chiller, I still have the one at the link below for sale. I would knock the price down some for you.

    http://www.mdreefclub.com/showthread...1-5-hp-chiller
    Jim, thanks. I'll definitely keep that in mind.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Clownfish
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by HgrReefs View Post
    I agree with everything above with regards to consistency. If 81 is the target, maintain it. My only question is, how much of a temp fluctuation will occur between lights on/lights off. ie, if you are 81 with the lights off, will it now climb to 84 when they are at full burn?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chris, so far my tank is hovering between high 80 to high 81. Seems the tank never drops below high 80 now unless I leave the pumps off for an extended period of time during a feeding. I don't have any type of controller yet so these are just eyeball measurements when I look at the thermometer passing by the tank.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Clownfish
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Waynesboro, PA
    Posts
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by jrhaughey View Post
    I think 84-85 is the absolute top end. After that, I think things will start to degrade rapidly.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, everything I've read seems to point to that as well with 84 being the tipping point for a downhill slide. Though some folks run their tanks at 84 and keep it there with little fluctuation. That then goes back to consistency.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •