Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is it with me and invertebrates ?

Re:What is it with me and invertebrates ?

I agree totally. Both in that I am not as patient as I could be .. and that waiting is a good idea. I'm going to go 4-8 weeks without adding anything .. which will be tough of course

I'm confused on the refractomoter, you said they were .. or were not really meant for fish only systems? Other than that, we are not talking a lot of money here .. so it seems like a good choice.

The digital phosphates tester seems keen too .. wish they had those for nitrates :P Anything that I can test by dipping a probe into the water is cool-beans in my book.

My ammonia and nitrites have been at 0 since the tank cycled. I usually test my nitrates on Thursday night / Friday morning - as I do my weekly water change on Friday.

Usually something that dies in my tank doesn't get long to rot :P My CUC is efficient if nothing else. [Or if i see a corpse, I pull it out.]

all in all good advice however.

mbodell

rembrandt wrote:
    I agree totally. Both in that I am not as patient as I could be .. and that waiting is a good idea. I'm going to go 4-8 weeks without adding anything .. which will be tough of course
    Add slowly and keep on the husbandry.

I'm confused on the refractomoter, you said they were .. or were not really meant for fish only systems? Other than that, we are not talking a lot of money here .. so it seems like a good choice.

The swing arm ones are only good for fish only. Refractometers are way more accurate.

The digital phosphates tester seems keen too .. wish they had those for nitrates :P Anything that I can test by dipping a probe into the water is cool-beans in my book.

They do have them for nitrates! It isn't a probe, it is a powder that you mix into the water.

My ammonia and nitrites have been at 0 since the tank cycled. I usually test my nitrates on Thursday night / Friday morning - as I do my weekly water change on Friday.

ammonia to nitrites to nitrates and organic waste also adds phosphates so ammonia and nitrites are relatively low pretty early in the cycle.

Usually something that dies in my tank doesn't get long to rot :P My CUC is efficient if nothing else. [Or if i see a corpse, I pull it out.]

all in all good advice however.

why dont you pick up a bottle of Stability?
    I used this when setting up all my tanks.

1.026 with a refractomiter by the way
    My nitrates are between 0 and 5 today. (hard for me to tell with the colours so close)
    I dosed 11 tsp of mag last night because it has been hovering in the 1000-1050 range for a week , my calcium is up to 390 now, I'm going to spend the next week or two really zeroing in the calcium reactor.

You know, My RO unit doesn't have the DI.
    I just figured that out today by using the interweb to research it.

Which might explain my phosphates issue. Urg .. Time to order the DI add on.

I feel bad for the things I probably killed in my ignorance.

mbodell

You probably will want to do a full water change. DI pulls out silica primarly and polishes out the rest of the phosphates.

Holy coral! After a week MIA the porcelain crab turned up, like nothing ever happened. Molting means something is going right yeah?

Banned

Inverts are very sensitive to water changes. When you get them home you should def acclimate them over a few hours. Even if they seem ok at first they could die off shortly after being added.

I use to use one of the swing are style hydrometers and it was off by .005. So instead of being 1.025 it was 1.030. OUCH!

I know that it can be hard to wait sometimes, but be patient. It will end up costing you less money in the long run.