Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hippo tang... won't swim...

Hippo tang... won't swim...

3 days ago my hippo stoped coming up to eat. I moved some stuff around so I didn't think anything of it...
    Well yesterday morning I decided to start pulling rock to look for her and she couldn't swim! I have pulled her out put her in a bucket thinking within 6 hours she would be gone... well 24 hours later she is still kicking and screaming! I'm headed to lfs I'm setting up a 10 gallon for her to see what happens.. I'm very confused... any thoughts? She is not eating and is laying on side.. her color looks good...

I would post something on Reef 2 Reef if you have not already done so. You will get more eyes on it and there are some experts who can probably help you faster. I hope you can get it figured out.

Thanks I'll do that!!! I just wish they could talk and tell you what's wrong....

reeferb is on the reef squad at Reef2reef in the fish/disease forum. Her name is ngoodermuth there or reeferb here. I'll say something to her.

We have started treating with metronidazole.... 250 mg per 10gallon and again in 48 hours... our vet said to start with treatment for stomach parasites and let him know how it goes and we will decide from there depending on improvement.....

Metro needs to be fed to fish to treat internal parasites.

That's a good start, if you can get it to eat food laced with metro as well- that's better. You'll need seachem focus to bind it to the food. A scoop of each to one tablespoon thawed frozen food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's ok to feed it while you are medicating the water, but for internal parasites it works best given directly to the gut.

She is not eating... she is trying to swim today but can't keep herself upright.... I have offered her seaweed, I'll try to feed her meaty food in the morning.... she seems better but that just may be me trying to be positive.... her color is still good but the swelling on the anal has gone down... I damaged a some of her skin on the spines removing her from the tank but otherwise she looks good....

Is she breathing heavily?