Thread: 220 and 75 with basement filter build

220 and 75 with basement filter build

here we go!

i met a few guys from here in the Lancaster swap a few weeks back, i think i learned a bunch that day and we are really looking forward to this build and hopefully years of enjoyment out of this system

i am changing over from fresh to marine with reef tanks in mind. I have bought a drilled 220 to replace my standard 220. my 75 is built into a wall between rooms in the house, i am planning on drilling the end of that as corner overflows will not look good and a back side overflow isn't an option

things i have so far:

6 stage BRS ro/di
    6 bulb ati t5 60" for the 220
    48" MH t5 combo for the 75
    pair of 75 gallon tanks from nasco for a water station
    150 gal rubbermaid tub for the sump

i am to the point where i think i need to get some rock around and get that curing. my idea at this point is to get 200 pounds of pukani to split between both tanks.
    i am leaning to getting a lifereef protein skimmer as the next step

ideas on the plan?

the long term plan will include alot more but it's going to be a process. i don't make quick decisions but i do like to think i react well to the bad ones i'll make going forward.
    once the tank is in the house i'll get some pics going to keep track of the progress

any opinions are welcome!
    thanks
    chris

Clownfish
    You won't be sad with the LifeReef. Get a big enough return and you can bleed water from that to feed the skimmer. That is what I do and saves the hassle of another pump to service. I have a VS-3 with an 8 inch extension.
    For rock take a look here: http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/

Oh by the way welcome and looking forward to your build.

That sounds like a great start. Definitely cure the rock for a few months if you get the pukani. I have it and love it, but it was some nasty stuff when I got it. I have no experience with Lifereef but have only heard good things.

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer! View Post
    here we go!

i met a few guys from here in the Lancaster swap a few weeks back, i think i learned a bunch that day and we are really looking forward to this build and hopefully years of enjoyment out of this system

i am changing over from fresh to marine with reef tanks in mind. I have bought a drilled 220 to replace my standard 220. my 75 is built into a wall between rooms in the house, i am planning on drilling the end of that as corner overflows will not look good and a back side overflow isn't an option

things i have so far:

6 stage BRS ro/di
    6 bulb ati t5 60" for the 220
    48" MH t5 combo for the 75
    pair of 75 gallon tanks from nasco for a water station
    150 gal rubbermaid tub for the sump

i am to the point where i think i need to get some rock around and get that curing. my idea at this point is to get 200 pounds of pukani to split between both tanks.
    i am leaning to getting a lifereef protein skimmer as the next step

ideas on the plan?

the long term plan will include alot more but it's going to be a process. i don't make quick decisions but i do like to think i react well to the bad ones i'll make going forward.
    once the tank is in the house i'll get some pics going to keep track of the progress

any opinions are welcome!
    thanks
    chris
    It all sounds so good! You are in the same boat I am. I am changing spaces, and am planning a basement "system". I was planning on the 150 rubbermaid and a 90g to support a few "nano" tanks upstairs.

I do as much DIY as I can, and the best long term is to keep things modular and open. Schedule 80 pipe for anything connected to a pump, and DWV for all the open air sump lines. Good luck on the drill. I get the impression that you have drilled glass, but it is quite simple.

Taking your time is the best thing for this hobby. If you go too quick you get death and/or algae.

so i am not sure what skimmer i will get, i plan on calling and going with his suggestion for this set up. i will look into only using 1 pump sounds good to me!
    i have been busy gathering supplies for this next step!
    we now have 2 55 gallon barrels to cure the rock, the rock is on the way!!
    i also figured i would need to get my mixing station running in time to cure the rock.

i am going to try and use the Jabao dcs2000 as my mixing pump for the water station.
    i just grabbed a cpl cheapo pumps form the rock cure barrels

i have not drilled a tank before. from reading and a few videos i think it is worth a try.

i need to post a few pictures as my drilled 220 has 3 holes thru the back and an overflow mounted inside the tank. nothing on the back so i have a few questions on the best way to plump the tank. previos owner did not use a box on the outside of the tank...

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer! View Post
    i have not drilled a tank before. from reading and a few videos i think it is worth a try.

i need to post a few pictures as my drilled 220 has 3 holes thru the back and an overflow mounted inside the tank. nothing on the back so i have a few questions on the best way to plump the tank. previos owner did not use a box on the outside of the tank...
    Drilling is easy, but time consuming. I have done quite a bit.

Pipes should use a "Durso" top, which is a way to limit sound through air (vent) in a drain.

1 pipe is a standard noisy durso
    2 to the same overflow is usually a "Herbie" style
    3 to the same overflow is usually a "BeanAnimal" style.

If you have 3 holes, I highly recommend a "Beananimal" method. It is IDENTICAL to the herbie method, except that it has a redundant emergency outlet. Herbie has never failed me, but the next time I drill, I will be doing a 3 pipe system. You would have to try to flood your display tank....It all depends on the pump power vs the drain size. At 1-1/2"+ diameter drain, you can really move some water.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by SquatchXXL View Post
    Drilling is easy, but time consuming. I have done quite a bit.

Pipes should use a "Durso" top, which is a way to limit sound through air (vent) in a drain.

1 pipe is a standard noisy durso
    2 to the same overflow is usually a "Herbie" style
    3 to the same overflow is usually a "BeanAnimal" style.

If you have 3 holes, I highly recommend a "Beananimal" method. It is IDENTICAL to the herbie method, except that it has a redundant emergency outlet. Herbie has never failed me, but the next time I drill, I will be doing a 3 pipe system. You would have to try to flood your display tank....It all depends on the pump power vs the drain size. At 1-1/2"+ diameter drain, you can really move some water.

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/s...ow-system.aspx
    That is the perfect link! I'm going that way for sure

I have all the pukani curing in barrels in my basement, rock got wet Sunday and it's just rank by Thursday. I was thinking water change a bit later but I gotta get this gone wow

This is my mixing station, I still need the hose barb on the output

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk