Thread: Photo Period for Acros

Photo Period for Acros

I am still having issues with a lot of my acros and I am about out of ideas. I am wondering if I am burning them because I am leaving my lights at peak par too long. I have three Kessils A360WE and 4 T5 retrofits. The peak par is between 250 and 400 for all my acros. That definitely shouldn't burn them but my lights are at the peak for 7 hours. Is that too long? Here is the schedule:

12:00 PM - Kessils on at 14%
    12:00 - 2:30 PM - Kessils ramp up to 90%
    2:30 PM - All 4 T5 turn on
    9"30 PM - All 4 T5 turn off
    9:30 - 11:59 - Kessils ramp back down to 14%
    Midnight - All lights off

The issue does not seem to impact tenuis but most others are at least minimally impacted. I am really out of ideas and very frustrated. I also have pocillopora overtaking my tank to add to the frustration. Here are a few images of the issues.

voodoo majick 020918 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    tropicana twist 020918 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    pink cadillac 020918 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    Last edited by BigJim; 02-10-2018 at 12:00 AM.

a better picture of the mesenterial filaments one one of them.

mesenterial filaments 020218 by Big Jim, on Flickr

missing a pretty big piece of the pie for adjustment, what is the par at these photo periods?

Quote Originally Posted by nkicks1 View Post
    missing a pretty big piece of the pie for adjustment, what is the par at these photo periods?
    The par varies during the ramp period but I can tell you that the first two corals pictured are at 275 par between 2:30 and 9:30 and the last one is at 400 during that time. I am measuring with an Apogee MQ210 and I have heard different stories of whether I need to adjust the reading for the Kessils.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    The par varies during the ramp period but I can tell you that the first two corals pictured are at 275 par between 2:30 and 9:30 and the last one is at 400 during that time. I am measuring with an Apogee MQ210 and I have heard different stories of whether I need to adjust the reading for the Kessils.
    400 to me is high but many run even higher i guess. Wouldnt point at the par @ 275. Was there a past issue of heat, cold, or salinity in the recent past? Id have to find the artcile but from the pictures i came across something like it related to Rapid "Hydrogen Peroxide Release" Can stem from a number of cehmeical or phyiscal stimuli.
    Last edited by nkicks1; 02-12-2018 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nkicks1 View Post
    400 to me is high but many run even higher i guess. Wouldnt point at the par @ 275. Was there a past issue of heat, cold, or salinity in the recent past? Id have to find the artcile but from the pictures i came across something like it related to Rapid "Hydrogen Peroxide Release" Can stem from a number of cehmeical or phyiscal stimuli.
    Yeah I don't think it is the par level but I was just wondering if it is at that level for too long. I am slowly dialing the photo period back to see what happens. Although, my tank did great with the same photo period for about 5 months.

My tank has been stable at the parameters below for several months. I raised salinity slightly after my ICP test in November and also had a nitrate spike at the end of November (from 5 - 20) because I accidentally knocked the plug out of my protein skimmer collection cup and did not notice for about a week.

Salinity: 1.026
    Alk: 7.5
    Ca: 450
    Mg: 1400
    Temp: 77.0 - 77.2
    Ph: 8.1 - 8.3
    Phosphate: .02 - .04
    Nitrate: 8

I have done probably hundreds of google searches at this point and never seen anything like this. People always refer to STN or RTN as coral bleaching and this is not that. My acros are actually bleaching. I'm just hoping someone will spot something I haven't if I keep asking questions. I really thought I had this SPS thing figured out for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
    a better picture of the mesenterial filaments one one of them.

mesenterial filaments 020218 by Big Jim, on Flickr
    Somewhat looks like snail eggs.