Thread: New Reefer in the Harrisburg area

New Reefer in the Harrisburg area

Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 120 gallon saltwater tank that had been up and running for about 4 years. The guy who had it had let it get out of control a bit so I am still battling green hair algae but it came with some really nice live rock and I brought home 70 gallons of the water that had been in the tank. That was about a month ago and since then I have done several water changes. I added a 40 gallon sump with an attempt at a refugium (having trouble keeping chaeto alive), I also put in a protein skimmer and a bunch of marine pure block. All of my water parameters are really good (using Red Sea test kits) except I am still bringing down nitrate numbers. With the high nitrates (around 10) I would think my Chaeto would grow like crazy but it is dying off ????? I am testing weekly for Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, Phosphate and nitrate. I am dosing to keep all of those in line and I am dosing NoPox for the phosphate and nitrate. I am in the Harrisburg area just off 83 and would love to glean some knowledge off anybody fairly close who will take me under their wing. I did add a handful of fish about 2 weeks ago and the tank came with a couple of coral that seem to be doing much better than they were when I got the tank.

Any info on getting my chaeto to grow would be appreciated, as well as anyone who has some chaeto that they are getting rid of (I will pay you for it.)
    I am looking to start getting into coral and I plan on coming to the June 2nd frag swap, anyone with frags in the Harrisburg area?
    Just some general knowledge and people who are willing to share is why I am here so looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say.

Welcome to the club, unfortunately I am down in Ellicott City MD so not close but I know we have a bunch of folks up by you. Not sure what you tell you about the Cheato, usually it's fairly hardy unless something else is out competing it, which is possible if you have hair algae elsewhere in the tank.

I am not in your area and I also can't keep chaeto alive. I believe my issue is not enough flow in the refugium section of my sump. What kind of light are you using on the refugium? I'm sure someone will be able to hook you up with come chaeto.

Hey, im not too far from you... where did you find that tank? I'm looking to start up a tank too.

i am not far from you. im in york

Talons Cove do you have any chaeto or any frags? If so I would be more than willing to drive down to York, even just to see your setup.
    Big Jim, I thought that it may be a flow issue in my fuge as well so I put a fairly hearty wave maker in there to try to get it more flow. The light is just a cree LED flood light that is in the 5500 k spectrum which is what I read from a lot of people was the proper spectrum. I do have a much higher wattage grow specific light coming in the mail and hopefully it will be here before my current chaeto ball is completely dead.
    Newbiereefer, once I decided that I definitely wanted to jump into this hobby (after a TON of research and weighing options) I got on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. It is surprising that in this hobby when people are done, they are DONE and many are willing to practically give the stuff away. Then there are those that want almost retail for their stuff. Just keep looking for a really good deal and if you see a sump or skimmer etc. come up before the tank don't hesitate to store it for a bit.

Thanks for the info. Where on facebook did you find the deals? I just told my cousin and he said he posted in one of the pages hes on but wasnt sure if it was the right place. I also already have a bunch of used equipment from my cousin who has been in the hobby for a while. Already have lights, skimmer, and some rocks.

Also if you know what type of frags you want, my cousin is coming to visit tomorrow from NYC. He may be able to bring some frags from his system if hes got what you're looking for. Let me know and ill pass the word along.

Facebook has a feature called "Marketplace." You can get to it from your facebook home screen under the menu items on the left, and it is better than craigslist as far as I am concerned. Used equipment is key for those of us trying to do this on a budget, maybe someday I will be able to go online to bulkreefsupply and order up my dream system but until that day the used stuff is key to my wife not killing me. As far as frags go, I am just starting to get into coral so I am looking to get into any LPS, I do have a branching torch that is doing awesome and a candy cane that was just put in like 2 weeks ago. I would love some Acans and/or Favia, I love the way they look but I am not too picky at this point. I would also like to get a Zoa garden going at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanhanes View Post
    Talons Cove do you have any chaeto or any frags? If so I would be more than willing to drive down to York, even just to see your setup.
    Big Jim, I thought that it may be a flow issue in my fuge as well so I put a fairly hearty wave maker in there to try to get it more flow. The light is just a cree LED flood light that is in the 5500 k spectrum which is what I read from a lot of people was the proper spectrum. I do have a much higher wattage grow specific light coming in the mail and hopefully it will be here before my current chaeto ball is completely dead.
    Newbiereefer, once I decided that I definitely wanted to jump into this hobby (after a TON of research and weighing options) I got on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. It is surprising that in this hobby when people are done, they are DONE and many are willing to practically give the stuff away. Then there are those that want almost retail for their stuff. Just keep looking for a really good deal and if you see a sump or skimmer etc. come up before the tank don't hesitate to store it for a bit.
    pm sent sir