Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Return of the dooche

Got the aquascape in today (lots of acrylic rod, water weld and super glue gel) Now on to the wiring. Probably will skip the calcium reactor for now . Thinking of going with a soft reef and getting some cool fish this time around I couldn't with the sps tank I had last time around.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Skill set:

Numchuck Skills
    Bowhunting Skills
    Computer Hacking Skills

It's coming along nicely. I'm still jealous that so many of you can do the wiring and stuff that I have to pay people to do.

Clownfish
    Quote Originally Posted by optimusdooche View Post
    Well built the fish room directly below where the tank sits to reinforce the floor . I only get 5*3 of the basement for the hobby. A little tight but I can make it fit. I am no engineer so I Overkilled the framing . It looks like it will hold...don't mind the mess still unpacking from the move .

Not to rain on the parade, when homes are built the load bearing walls and support posts are set on footers to support the weight at those pressure / load points. What you have done is transferred the load directly to the part of the floor that was most likely not intended to have that kind of pressure point. You most likely will not exceed the capacity of the floor but you would need a structural engineer to determine the total load and its distribution across the floor. The weak point is this picture is the concrete floor.

Peppermint Shrimp
    What are the dimensions of the area framed up? Most homes are built using 3500-4000 psi concrete. To be safe I would assume 3500psi’s. This is 3500lbs over one yard, at 4” which would be your basement depth, this is roughly an 8x10 area.

Ok, I just went back and re-read your post on the second page and you said it was a 5x3 area. That is 55% of the 80sf area of one yard of concrete. The area you framed up should comfortably support 1925lbs assuming it is at 100% strength. You are also along a load bearing wall and I hope you placed your tank perpendicular to your joists. This all would alleviate more weight from the slab. Hope all this helps.

It's a 173G tank, which is big but not outlandish. I would be jaw droppingly surprised if there were any issues due to weight, especially given the re-enforcement you did in the basement. That tank will clock in at around 1500lbs, which as the math justinm did shows that you are fine.

Very clean work so far, looking to see more of it.

Well the tank does run parallel with the joists , but it is running with 4 joists . Which is 1 more than if I ran it horizontal with the joists because they are 24" on center . The reason I added the post at the end was to cut the span in half. The actual dimensions are 71"x 51" , the 5*3 were the inside dimensions. I didn't jack up the floor , I let it settle on the post and snugged the studs. I would assume the floor would at least carry some of the weight and transfer the rest to the basement floor. Honestly I am worried about a random tank seam exploding more than the floor giving out. It's been along time since I have owned a big glass tank , and last time a seam let loose , luckily it was in the basement.

Last edited by optimusdooche; 12-09-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Skill set:

Numchuck Skills
    Bowhunting Skills
    Computer Hacking Skills

It holds water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like it was meant to be there.

Peppermint Shrimp
    Looks great! Love the floating canopy too!

Yeah I had to hide the radions didn't want the headache of a canopy sitting on the tank. I bought two clearance pendant lights from lowes for $15 each to get the down rods and hardware . Added 2 ceiling fan boxes in the ceiling. It swings side ways out of the way, still figuring out a way to get it to hang perfectly level, the cords throw it off some .

Skill set:

Numchuck Skills
    Bowhunting Skills
    Computer Hacking Skills