Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chalices - growing ?

Chalices - growing ?

Wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get a chalice to grow outward or in a bowl shape ???

I've seen them before, plating out growing in a shelf type shape, or in a "bowl" fashion.

Mine grow to the size of the plug/disk then fall straight down the sides. Not out or up ?

Do they need to be "trained" to grow in that shape ? Never heard of someone putting one in a bowl to grow it out.

my big hollywood stunner is bowl shaped and you get tell the new growth because it isnt going along with the bowl shape it is growing flat out.... i wish i knew also

Most chalices grow "downward".

wonder if lots of flow coming from the underside of the chalice leads to it not wanting to frow against the flow and to grow with the flow

They dont like alot of flow though.... It could kill them.

my hollywood stunner is growing out from the piece of live rock it's on, and it's starting to curve upward....I have no idea why it chose to go that way though ;-)

maybe they dont like alot of flo on their fleshy area and when it comes from the underside it goes up around the edges which is why they grow up and away from the flow?

Quote Originally Posted by Jen2828 View Post
    my hollywood stunner is growing out from the piece of live rock it's on, and it's starting to curve upward....I have no idea why it chose to go that way though ;-)
    That stunner has always done that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you mount them at a 45-90 degree angle they sometimes plate out horizontal.
    Other factors will influence this also: if they prefer more light they will go horizontal, if their source of food is always coming from one side they will grow that way (horizontal if its a ledge).

Certain species just do not grow horizontally (a lot of watermelons, etc.)... just like certain species of montipora only encrust and never plate.

They all get that fleshy skirt around them, which is normal. Then they just creep right down the sides of the frag disk and start growing into the frag rack.